Friday, September 11, 2015

Are Open Relationships More Normal than I Think?

First, let me say right off the bat -- sorry, kids -- this is not me announcing I'm embarking on an open relationship. LOL Not happening. This girl likes being monogamous. Okay, now that I've cleared that up...

I was talking to a  guy friend the other day who's on Tindr (and yes, I've mentioned Tindr before in the post about how I think dating is pretty much dead these days -- although I keep hoping I'm wrong about that), and he mentioned that his latest potential match stated right in her profile that she was involved in an open relationship with a guy from New York, but was looking for others as well. He wondered if open relationships were more normal than he thought these days because that was a new one to him.

Now I know I have some friends who are in open relationships, so I'm certainly not putting down the concept. I'm of the whatever floats your boat mentality -- an open relationship just isn't for me.

To me, it seems like it would get too confusing and like there's far too much potential for people to get hurt. Although, as I'm thinking about it -- there's the potential for people to get hurt in any relationship, isn't there? My main concern is what happens if two of the three or more people in a poly-amorous relationship develop stronger feelings for each other and leave the other in the dust. But as I'm writing that, I'm realizing that heck, that could happen in any relationship, couldn't it? Someone develops feelings for someone else and someone gets hurt.

So, maybe an open relationship isn't really all that different from a regular relationship. It's just a matter of the number of people involved. Like I said, do what works for you as long as you don't hurt people.

But I'm still curious -- Are you in (no judgment here, folks) or do you know people who are in an open relationship? Is this more normal than we think?

No comments: