Friday, May 13, 2016

How a Bryan Adams' Song Brought Me Back in Time

While I was work blogging today, I had the "soft rock" station on. I know. You're all laughing. But it helps me to write having background music and the soft rock channel is the best one because I don't wind up getting up and dancing or singing along like I do when pretty much any other station is on. It's just muzak. Well, until today.

Bryan Adams' "All For Love" from the soundtrack of "The Three Musketeers" movie came on, and I suddenly remembered what that song meant to me in college. For a while, I was obsessed with that song Senior year thanks to (wait for it) a guy. Of course. But, the funny thing is, I had completely forgotten about this guy until I heard this song. For all the thinking about him back in college, and there was far too much at one point, now he means nada to me and I'm slightly embarrassed to say I can't even remember his name.

I'd look him up in the yearbook, but he didn't go to college with me. Instead, I met him through a personal ad. Again, yes, you're all laughing. I am, too. But it was Senior year and I was licking my wounds after dating a buddy hadn't worked out (nothing personal to him at all, but when I kissed him, it felt like I was kissing a relative and that was not sexy in the slightest LOL) so I had figured what the hell, let's see what happens and posted it in the Personals section of the local city paper.

Back then, the Internet didn't exist, so I had to call into a voice mail box to see if I had any messages. And to my surprise, there were quite a few. One memorable one that I think I've mentioned here before was from an artist who was convinced that he and I were fated to be together and left numerous rambling voice messages to that end. Now, looking back, I'm very proud of my then-self for not contacting that guy because that's the kind of shit that then-me would have lapped up. But I didn't.

However, I did contact the guy who was my age and went to a college that was in that nearby big city. He sounded normal, so I left him a return message or called him and we agreed to meet up. A friend and I picked him up at the local train/subway station since there wasn't a direct stop at all to our college and he and I went to go see "The Three Musketeers", so I affiliated that song with him for a while.

We must have hit it off (I do remember thinking that first kiss was definitely NOT like kissing a relative, thank heavens...) because we agreed to hang out again. He came up again and a group of us (including the buddy I had tried dating and his then-girlfriend) went out to the local pub for dinner and drinks. (Side note: Because of this, I realized this was senior year and not junior year, because I wouldn't have been out at a bar drinking junior year.) Then, we came back and were playing some "I never" drinking game up in the suite. I don't remember how this came about, but the guy admitted that he had worked as a gigolo when he was working out of town the previous summer and was seeing the wives of a bunch of politicians. Ooookay. That was a bit much for my little then-virginial self to handle. Yikes.

He did spend the night in the dorm room and no, dear readers, nothing happened other than making out. What I do remember of him the most is that he had a school meeting the next morning so he had to get up early, and because I had no car, one of my good buds was graceful enough to let me use her car to drop him back off at the train/subway station. I seem to remember that he called a few times after that, but ehh, not my cup of tea at all, so I stopped answering his calls and he stopped calling.

Now that I'm thinking of him though, I wish I could remember his name or even just his first name. Hoping that I haven't somehow run into him over the years and have no recollection of it. If so, sorry dude!

Yeesh, all of that memory from one little song.

No comments: