Monday, August 11, 2014

RIP Robin Williams -- Depression is a Lying Bastard

Depression is a lying bastard.

It is.

If you're dealing with depression, or know someone who is, please re-read that first line as many times as you need to to let it sink in. Depression lies. It's insidious; it's evil; and it kills.

The news items are saying that Robin Williams dealt with depression for quite some time and that he committed suicide. Horrible. I can't even imagine feeling that low that you think killing yourself is the only way out. I just can't. Although I do understand that depression lies.

I've dealt with depression myself in the past --it brought it's close friend, anxiety, along for the ride. Awful, awful time and even though I know depression lies, everything just seemed horrible. Very glad to be past that thanks to getting out of the work situation I was in and through some therapy as well. Talking to friends/family who "got it" also did a world of good for me so I knew I wasn't alone in what felt like insanity.

If you're dealing with depression, please... Reach out. Talk to someone. Get some help. No one should have to feel that way.

Depression is a lying bastard.

No comments: