Sunday, October 12, 2014

I Popped My Rocky Horror Picture Show Cherry... Again

If anyone had asked me before last night if I've seen "Rocky Horror Picture Show", I would have said yes. And I would have thought I was telling the truth. Turns out I wasn't.

I have distinct memories of being home on a break from my Freshman year of college. Some friends had gone to a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I rented it from Blockbuster. (RIP) I came back to my parents' house, settled down in a recliner in the living room and turned on the movie. And I thought I watched the whole thing. I can do the Time Warp with the best of them, and just assumed I had.

Reader, I did not.

But I didn't realize that until I watched (thinking I was re-watching) it last night, after buying the DVD a few years back. I had seen the Brad and Janet part; the light over at the Frankenstein place; the Time Warp; and the sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania. But that was it. All of the rest of the movie was new to me. What the heck?

I thought I'd seen "Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me". Well, I had. When it was covered on the RHPS episode of "Glee". Oy.

Let me take you back to freshman year of college me. Oh, that me. She was soo naive and so innocent. And would have been horrified at watching a sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania cavorting about the TV screen in her parents' living room, which they could walk on in. The horror. All I can guess is that I turned it off after that screen and somehow made myself think in the mumble mumble number of years that followed til now that I'd watched the whole thing.

I had not. Until last night. Thankfully, the now me loooooved the movie. I have a mad crush on Tim Curry as Frank n Furter (that man rocks a bodice and garter belt. Dayum) and love how just fierce he seemed in that role. He was rocking it and he knew it and I adore that.

Did I know til last night that Brad and Frank n Furter had sex? (Decades old spoiler alert). I did not. I also thought Janet had sex just with Rocky. Had no idea she also had sex with Frank n Furter (lucky girl, that Janet).

In a sense, I'm glad I didn't actually see the whole movie til last night as that me back then would not have appreciated it. Okay, she might have learned a few things earlier, but this me was the right version of me to see the movie in it's entirety.

No comments: