Sunday, June 8, 2014

Book Review: "Desperate" by Daniel Palmer

Had the pleasure of meeting the author, Daniel Palmer at a book-signing event for Christopher a Golden. There were a number of local authors there talking about their books, and Palmer's sounded quite interesting, so I was considering checking it out.

While I was waiting in line to have Golden's book, "The Ferryman", signed, I was standing in front of Palmer's part of the table. He was talking to a fellow behind me and mentioned his worst book signing story was when a person wanted him to inscribe a book with "Happy Birthday" for a friend, so he did that and then thought to make it even more festive by drawing a balloon. However, he shortly realized that his balloon looked like sperm. So, he tried to add a bunch of balloons, resulting in what looked like a sea of swimming sperm. Horrified, he then went on to add a "Happy Birthday" banner and a cake, silently thinking that the person he was signing the book for was going to think he was a loon.

The story slayed me, so, of course, I had to pick up a copy of his hardcover book, Desperate, and asked him to sign it and add a balloon. He laughed and happily complied.

I finished reading "Desperate" last night -- or more specifically, this morning close to 1 a.m. and it is one hell of a thrill-ride. I love psychological thrillers and this one had it in spades.

I thought I knew how the plot was going to go, but I didn't, which is a pleasant rarity for me. Instead, there was a twist after a twist after a delicious twist and it was perfection.

This is a must-read if you love psychological thrillers as much as I do. Enjoy!!

No comments: