Thursday, June 12, 2014

Boudoir Photos: Tips for a Great Experience

Talking about boudoir photo shoots today -- if you don't know what they are, think about it.

"Boudoir" = "Bedroom", but no, it's not photos of your bedroom. Please! How boring would that be? This is a bit more interesting in nature -- photos taken in various degrees of undress or in nothing at all. Photos meant for the bedroom, or wherever else you feel like taking or perusing them. Got it? ;)

I had the pleasure of having a boudoir photo shoot done a few months back and looooved the results. Those photos are just for my eyes and my husband's eyes (he loved them); and of course, a few select girlfriends, who also approved and all now want to have a boudoir photo shoot of their own done. And they should.

So, what do you need to know if you're considering a boudoir shoot?

  • Find the right photographer. This part is crucial. I used the same photographer that my sister did when she had a photo shot done last year, so it was easy for me as this photographer came highly recommended by someone I trust explicitly. You want to hire a photographer who is easy to get along with; takes great photos; who you can trust; and in my case, I wanted a female photographer and someone who would make the photo shoot fun. And she absolutely did.
  • Decide what you want to wear/how much you want to reveal. For me, I went with the rule of showing anything that could/would be shown in a bikini. I know many boudoir shots reveal it all, but I wasn't comfortable with that idea and knew I'd feel better going this way. The pictures were still hot as hell and I think were even more so because I didn't reveal everything/left something to mystery. 
  • Bring 4-7 outfits with you. I brought 6 outfits with me and my photographer went through them with me when I got there and we talked about what would work the best. One of the outfits I wound up wearing was was a complete lark. I was having my hair and makeup done before the shoot, so I needed a button-down shirt, but didn't have any on-hand (button-down shirts are my enemy :D ), so I grabbed one of the chambray denim button-down shirts that my husband has and wore that over leggings for my hair/makeup appointment and to the studio. When I was talking to the photographer and going over outfits, we went with using that button-down shirt in a number of the shots and it was perfect. 
  • Trust your photographer. If you hired the right photographer, that trust will come from the start, but it's never as important as when you're standing in your underwear or a negligee in front of a camera. I knew that my photographer had my best interests and the best photos in mind, and trusted her to get the lighting and and my poses just right to get the best. 
  • HAVE FUN! This is also crucial. Have fun with it. You're most likely going to only do a boudoir shot once in your life, so make it a fun experience. I spent the entire time cracking up with my photographer and that comes across fully in the photos that I'm having a great time. You don't have to look serious to look sultry; there's also sexiness found in laughter and a big, confident smile. 

Wondering if you should have a boudoir photo shoot done? Stop wondering and do it. 

No comments: