Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Lovin', Had Me a Blast...

Apologies to all of you singing that song from "Grease" right now. But I was thinking of that song today and I wondered -- is "Summer lovin'" even possible anymore at our age (ahem --very early 40s, but could and do easily pass for mid-30s)?

My friend Ginger (will link to her blog when trying to visit stops crashing Firefox on me) mentioned a "Summer fling" in her most recent blog -- and I should add that she's entirely faithful to her man and isn't having one. She was just discussing the concept.

Any hoo, Summer flings? Am I just much older than I feel or is that just not done at our age. Seems more of a high school/college thing to me where you meet someone over the summer, but then leave each other behind to go back to school and the fling is over.

For me, my summer fling as it where was the summer after college. It was kind of an unintentional summer fling, though. Met the boy at a bar (as one does); boy called the next day and showed up at my house with flowers (maybe coral roses?) to take me out to dinner. We met each others' parents -- quite easy as we lived with our parents as it was the summer after college. It was more of how it was than anything that symbolized the seriousness of the relationship. We dated for a few months, but then a job offer came up in NYC that he couldn't refuse in the family biz (no, he wasn't a mobster --bummer since I wanted to be a gun moll as a child. Did I mention I was an odd duck? Probably don't have to, now.)

I had no interest in moving to NYC --leave behind my family and friends? Surely, you jest! And long distance relationships don't work for me. We thought about it, but this was pre-Internet days, and cards and calls wound up being one-sided. So, that ended and that was my Summer fling.

These days, with kids and jobs and the like, I just don't get how a Summer fling would even be possible. Hmm, and here's where I add that I'm married, so I'm not looking for a fling of any kind anyway. But tell me -- am I wrong? Are Summer flings still a thing or are they "dust in the wind, dude"?

No comments: